Is this gas/electricity exchange between France and Germany really a turning point?

Baptiste Morin, edited by Romain Rouillard

Emmanuel Macron announced an agreement between Paris and Berlin. France undertakes to deliver more gas to Germany and, in exchange, Germany will mobilize its power stations to supply electricity to France. But these announcements do not present fundamental differences with the current situation.

At a press conference on Monday, Emmanuel Macron announced that France would commit to supplying more gas to Germany. In exchange, Berlin will mobilize its power plants to export electricity to France if necessary.

Today, France only produces 80% of the electricity it consumes every day due to the shutdown of 32 nuclear reactors. The production of electricity by the power stations is diminished and the country must therefore import the remaining 20%. He thus turned to England, Spain, Belgium, Switzerland and… Germany.

The liquefied natural gas solution

“It is essentially electricity produced from coal. It is the worst energy possible”, comments Thierry Bros, specialist in energy issues. “What we see there is ten years of energy neglect,” he adds. For gas, the observation is identical. Gas already passes through France before being transported to Germany. It is liquefied natural gas, ie transformed into liquid to be transported before being regasified on delivery. In this liquid form, the quantity of gas transported is multiplied by 600.

But to do this, LNG terminals are necessary. France has four while Germany has none. However, to run its industry and fill its reserves, Berlin must imperatively supply itself with gas. German reserves are now 86% full against 93% on the French side.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.