Publisher Dear Villagers and developer Sunnyside Games today announced Nocturnal, a side-scrolling action platformer. A release is planned for the second quarter of 2023 on Change.
For more information, read the following summary:
After a difficult journey through rough seas, Ardeshir, soldier of the Enduring Flame, returns to his home island of Nahran. A peculiar Mist is covering the entire island and the only way for Ardeshir to move forward is to use fire as a repellent and fight his way to the island. But the Mists can also uncover great locations and grant powerful abilities to those willing to explore its mysteries.
- Fight for Your Home Island of Nahran – Former soldier, you must find out what happens to your brothers in order to free your island from the dark mist. Battle challenging and varied enemies that block your way to your goal: to liberate the island of Darkness.
- A Deadly Mist – A mysterious mist covers the island and haunts you as soon as you see it. Fight your way to discover its origin and put an end to this. But be careful: one can’t breathe in the Mist, so you’ll have to use your wits as you figure out new ways to keep it at bay.
- Awaken the keeper of the enduring flame that sleeps within you: as mist is your enemy, fire will be your ally on your journey. The flame can be shielded from mist, light the stage, ignite machinery, and be used to burn beings of dark magic impervious to conventional weaponry.
- Explore the island and its secret places: The Mist covers a vast expanse and hides powerful abilities for those who wish to explore its mysteries. Get ashes by killing enemies and exploring your surroundings and make an offering to Phoenix statues to give you new abilities and stat boosts you need to survive.
- Speed-Run Mode: Speed-Run options are available. You can select them to improve your speed race time.
Sunnyside Games co-founder Gabriel Sonderegger said of today’s announcement: “With Nocturnal we wanted to combine the immediacy and timelessness of classic platform adventures with a more modern dynamism. The flames and mist provide players with a perfect balance between feeling weak and oppressed, with fleeting moments of triumph as they engulf their weapons in fire. We think it adds a unique flow to a classic genre and hope everyone can play Nocturnal when it launches later this year.”
Guillaume Jamet, Head of Publishing at Dear Villagers, added: “We love classic side-scrollers with a new twist and Nocturnal hit the spot for us. It tends to be fast and frantic, while also offering a good dose of tense pressure when your flame is extinguished and you’re under attack by dark forces in the shadows. It’s fantastic!”
The first trailer for Nocturnal can be seen below.